Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

Food Funerals and Learning Curves

I love food. I didn't get to 379 pounds because I ate like a fucking bird. Nope, I loved all kinds of food. I especially loved good food; well made, good ingredients, highly flavored food. Since surgery I've pretty much given up most food since I can eat 3 to 4 bites and I'm done. I'm sad about giving up that food where before I wasn't. There are certain things they don't tell you before surgery. No matter how many boards you join or how many support groups you attend no one can realy describe the frustration with not being able to eat anything because it's truly hard to describe what that feels like.

It's impossible to explain to someone that removing part of their stomach will change their taste buds. Seriously, someone I know who had this surgery told me it happened to her. I thought she was crazy. I'd just like to say I still think you're crazy Kenna just not about that! How do you explain to someone  that after surgery it will take them an hour to eat 1/4 of a cup of refried beans but they can drink a 24 oz bottle of water in that same time? Oh, but not togehter. NEVER together. That's like the golden rule of  WLS - Thou Shalt Not Eat and Drink At The Same Time.

Every day is a new learning curve. I can't seem to shop properly yet. I still try to buy things for the eater I was before. I've wasted more food now than I ever did when I was a normal eater. Part of it is because I can't eat it fast enough but a part of it is one bite of the food and I'm like nope, not gonna happen. And my husband can't eat it because of the salt content. Some things that I can't eat - tuna fish (oh dear god, no) Dannon fit and lite greek yogurt (that shit tastes so nasty and artificial) powdered protein drinks (yeah, vomit inducing).

Today is another adventure in shopping land where I'm going to head out and see what kinds of trouble I can get into at Trader Joe's in the cheese isle. I thank the WLS gods that cheese seems to be a wonderful food for me after surgery because some days that's all I can eat. I'm thinking fresh mozzarella needs to make an appearance in my life. I may add some canned peppers as vegggies since they're nice and soft and see how that sits on the tummy. I know olives do well.

1 comment:

Ang said...

Are you able to eat full fat yogurt? If so, try Trader Joe's Strawberry vanilla greek yogurt. OMG. It is very comforting. Like no other yogurt I've tasted. Also the full fat European Style plan (which is more fluid - almost like buttermilk) Other than that, I wonder if lighter fish is easier to digest? flounder or cod or whatever those nice light fishes are that I enjoy a lot but can never keep straight? I am mourning for your loss of foods. I think you will get back there, in a healthy way .. step by step. I am so addicted to food, I can't imagine the hell I would go through were I in your place! Everytime I try to eat better, I end up crying at some point, or throwing things. I'm working with a therapist on facing the pain and moving away from turning to the food. I want to kill someone.